Hello Google, Microsoft, or Perfect World!
I'd like to see an MMO which takes place in the real world. The game would be akin to GTA or Goat Simulator, but you start out in your own neighborhood, have a friends list imported from email/Hangouts/Skype/FB/whatever, and allows almost free roaming throughout the developed world. You can even teleport to your friends if you want to explore their town with them.
- Ever want to take a road trip, but can't get away from work?
- Maybe you have a friend in London and you would love to see the city.
- Have you wanted to explore temple ruins, but been afraid of being kidnapped?
- What if you could hop into your car and just drive, see what the world holds, see what lay beyond the horizon, and the one after that, and the one after that? If you could have your own vacation in VR or at your desktop, without ever shirking your responsibilities.
- Or see what it would be like to drive off into the Grand Canyon and parachute to the bottom. The world is yours to do what you want!
- Players earn ExP (Exploration Points) for every mile they render. World rendering is done iteratively, so the first three players through an area improve the quality of the rendering. They get a huge multiplier on ExP if they are the first player in an area or complete a group exploration quest, like "find three Mayan temples" or "drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles."
- Uploading geotagged photos for areas not yet in the game will earn huge ExP bonuses, which encourages players to explore the real world.
- World interactions will be very similar to Goat Simulator or GTA, so turf wars will be possible, with territory borders moving based on battles.
- Players can only teleport to their friends, which encourages group play. (also to any properties they own)
- 'Instances' can emerge in which players globally can be invited to re/enact global conflicts as UN security forces, catching Koni for example.
- Additional 'Instances' can take the form of historical battles or entire simulated wars.
- Players can buy apartments/mansions/yachts using ExP, which can be bought using microtransactions.
- A low-res mobile version allows for access anywhere.
- Google's cardboard VR headset or the new Oculus would make the game truly immersive.
- It uses players' PCs to render StreetView images into 3D models to build a photo-realistic digital world. Players can upload geotagged photos to expand the map where StreetView stops.
- Turning photos to 3D models is not difficult in general, selecting and removing obstructions in photos (cars, people, etc) can be automated, render quality can be improved by iterative loading by users (refine the model each time a player walks through for the first 3-5 visits).
- All golden arches and ginger girls get replaced with an icon of a burger - unless those companies want to sponsor their locations in the digital world. This extends to all companies - they can sponsor their locations.
- There are an endless number of billboards in the country, and any existing ad platform could easily place ads on them.
- Players can spend their ExP (Exploration Points) on a new 2015 Hyundai Elantra (sponsored by Hyundai) or a 'Fauxgatti Feyron' (not sponsored).
- Players who want boosts, perks, and extras can convert cash into ExP (like Riot Points on LoL) and can get a head start.
- Partly automated, using expletives while in 'safe mode' mutes you.
- Safe mode is for people looking for wholesome fun. Goat Simulator style.
- Adult mode removes filters and allows game mechanics similar to GTA.
- All players interact in the same space, but some actions are not visible to 'safe mode' players.
All rights reserved. I want this built. If you can build it, get in touch.
Content originally published in 2014.